- Gets children out of the classroom and thinking about their surroundings.
- Intertwines and hones science, math and observational skills.
- Features tree lessons for each season.
- Draws a connection between what children learn in the classroom and what they see every day.
- Plants a desire in children to practice and advocate for environmental sustainability.
The ROOTS curriculum is easy to follow. Each section specifies the optimal age group and season for the lesson, as well as the tools needed to complete the activities. Approximate lesson times, reference images and teacher evaluations are also provided. Each lesson can stand alone, so they're great for after school activities or family weekends! Download the entire ROOTS curriculum.
If you are a teacher and would like an instructor from Casey Trees to come to your school and teach one of these lessons, contact Priscilla Bocskor, Education Coordinator. Schools can also apply for a Community Tree Planting to involve students in a tree planting and improve the school grounds (tree planting is one of the lessons in ROOTS, as well).
In addition to ROOTS, the Education department at Casey Trees also offers great classes and tree walks. Visit our complete calendar to register for an upcoming event!