Bicycle Crew Captain
Urban Forestry Manager (under Director of Tree Planting)
The mission of Casey Trees is to restore, enhance and protect the tree canopy of the Nation’s Capital.
Casey Trees is looking for a Bicycle Crew Captain to support our summer tree maintenance and outreach activities. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual who enjoys working outdoors in small crew settings, and mentoring students. The candidate should be an experienced cyclist in good physical shape, and have strong interpersonal communication skills, as they will be an ambassador for Casey Trees in a highly visible role. A genuine interest in the conservation mission of the organization is a must.
• Operate a bicycle, towing a 6’ x 3’ trailer, in city traffic up to 20 miles per day
• Supervise and assist in training a crew of 1-3 high school students to cycle safely in the city
• Supervise and perform tree maintenance activities, primarily watering from a fire hydrant
• Maintain fleet of four bicycles and a trailer, perform routine maintenance and schedule repairs as necessary
• Maintain clear records of bicycle maintenance and outreach activities and expenses, time sheets for high school interns, and work performed on a daily basis
• Assist with other aspects of field operations and logistics as required for stewardship programs
• Complete a draft project analysis/report on experiences of pilot project
• Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• An interest in and commitment to urban conservation and community forestry activities
• Knowledge of bicycle safety and traffic laws
POSITION DURATION AND COMPENSATION:
This is a short-term, full time position from June 1 thru August 31. Compensation is $12.00/hour. Start/end dates are negotiable/flexible. Helmet and work shirts will be provided.
Please send letter of interest, resume, available start date, and contact information for three references to:
Matthew Fried, Urban Forestry Manager
Casey Trees 1123 11th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please put BICYCLE CREW CAPTAIN as subject of email)
Fax: 202.833.4092 Prefer no telephone inquires
All applications must be received by Friday, May 22, 2009.
Casey Trees is an Equal Opportunity Employer.